Blinky 17.5 Brushless: No
Stock Touring 13.5 Brushless: Yes
Stock Touring 10.5 Brushless: No
Super Touring Modified: No
MotorBikes: No
Vehicle Make(S): Xray T4

Re: 13.5 t this sunday

Postby ben_cane » 21 Sep 2014, 11:55

Our track is only low grip as its dirty?!
Is there any advantage of coking a dirty track? The track felt rubbish in my opinion when it was 'partly coked' the night before the slcc.
The only way to improve the grip is to get more people racing?
Hopefully the club can apply and get all the nationals this year to get some much needed visitors back to our club.

chasingthepack
Crystals: 2.4
Blinky 17.5 Brushless: Yes
Vehicle Make(S): xray t4 14
ESC Makes and Models: orion r10 pro
Motor Makes: lrp x 20
Battery Make: lrp and hpi

Postby chasingthepack » 21 Sep 2014, 16:24

ben_cane wrote:Our track is only low grip as its dirty?!
Is there any advantage of coking a dirty track? The track felt rubbish in my opinion when it was 'partly coked' the night before the slcc.
The only way to improve the grip is to get more people racing?
Hopefully the club can apply and get all the nationals this year to get some much needed visitors back to our club.
i felt the same,had the whole track been done i think it would have been more consistent ,but coming into winter it cant be done,itll never dry,the grip was ok today but nowhere near track record lap times,the last time ben h and myself jetwashed the chicane the grip was visibly better through there but it takes ages,we need to get a team together and get the track up to scratch if we hold any chance of getting nationals back,the club(Ben h) has to provide a promotional video (that might be presentation)for the brca this year so is looking for helpers for that,all input will be welcomed by ben as its a big undertaking for 1 person,ill do what i can to help,but im no good at camera work,but its ideas that are needed,we could do with hiring stew noble,he produces very good promo vids
Richard Brown

Remo

Postby Remo » 21 Sep 2014, 19:56

Ben the track actually wasn't too bad and Adur was using a manual system where the boom is 1 or 1.5 meter wide. We have acquired an electric pump and the boom I believe can reach trackwidth with consistant spray.

To be fair track was quite good today, I was within 3 secs of my PB considering I did my pb at a previous BTCC meeting, as I got into 20 lapper twice today.
you say tomayto i say tomahto...

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 21 Sep 2014, 21:22

Remo wrote:Ben the track actually wasn't too bad and Adur was using a manual system where the boom is 1 or 1.5 meter wide. We have acquired an electric pump and the boom I believe can reach trackwidth with consistant spray.

To be fair track was quite good today, I was within 3 secs of my PB considering I did my pb at a previous BTCC meeting, as I got into 20 lapper twice today.
dirty dirty boy,lmao,ill use a lawn mower next time,i was a sec off my pb on OLD dirty boy tyres ,i was on 2 run when i set it,so grip was good today
and did you see scotts off road car flying past the rostrum,got some good air :D
cant wait to see the vids now
Richard Brown

ben_cane

Postby ben_cane » 22 Sep 2014, 18:17

How much running was done in practice on sunday? and how was the track for the first round?
I know people want the best grip to try and beat their pb all the time. But surely we should just be racing each other at that particular meeting.
I didn't see the FIA coating the track in Singapore this weekend??, A track will evolve at any form of racing. Surely that's the fun bit learning the grip and changing the car to the track? In my opinion I think coking the track is a complete was of time.
I cant imagine it boosting numbers at our club but maybe it will prove me wrong.

tryhard
Crystals: 2.4ghz spectrum
Vehicle Make(S): tc6.1 ft
ESC Makes and Models: speedpassion reventon pro

Hobbywing v3
Motor Makes: Speedpassion mmm 17.5t
gm 2012 13.5t
Battery Make: 4600 80c shorty ip lipo
4400 70c shorty ip lipo

Postby tryhard » 22 Sep 2014, 18:36

i have to say i didnt suffer from any loose back end and the tyres i used in the first 2 quilies were very old (4-5 race meetings)
tyre wars !!!!!
if your not first chuck another new set of boots on

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 22 Sep 2014, 19:14

ben_cane wrote:How much running was done in practice on sunday? and how was the track for the first round?
I know people want the best grip to try and beat their pb all the time. But surely we should just be racing each other at that particular meeting.
I didn't see the FIA coating the track in Singapore this weekend??, A track will evolve at any form of racing. Surely that's the fun bit learning the grip and changing the car to the track? In my opinion I think coking the track is a complete was of time.
I cant imagine it boosting numbers at our club but maybe it will prove me wrong.
in general i have found that if it rains the night before and the track is dry by morning then the grip is good,as the track has had all the pollen washed away,according to the practice sheets i did 59 laps in practice so total up with the others and at least 120 laps were done,easily enough to clean the track,but some sundays the track doesnt come up at all and can be hard to get a car to work all the way around the track,thats when the coke would be needed,also the coking thing all started with glen,i think we all need to suck it and see,the club has invested in a sprayer so it will possibly happen at the next meeting,Ben did you not like the grip at adur?,i felt it was overdone and took a while to get through the top layer back to tarmac,it took a while to come up on both days but when it did the cornering speed was great
not sure how the lap times compare with the track when it hasnt been coked ,it would be interesting to know the difference
Richard Brown

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 22 Sep 2014, 19:24

if i may ask Ben ,you talk with the the top drivers,any idea why aldershot isnt on anyones favourite list? if the club had some input we could work towards resolving the issues
Richard Brown

gwesty
Stock Touring 13.5 Brushless: No
Stock Touring 10.5 Brushless: Yes
Super Touring Modified: Yes
Vehicle Make(S): xray,hudy,rc-disco, ko,wfx,airhead graffix,demon,apex models,racer

Postby gwesty » 22 Sep 2014, 19:27

Obviously with more running in the track the grip will improve . When there's only a few people racing g a thin coating of coke will help to add some tack to the track. Personally I'd rather do it as it could save us all having to use new tyres . Or we could buy a nitro car and do some laps with that ;)

ben_cane

Postby ben_cane » 22 Sep 2014, 20:43

Richard, I don't have much to do with any other drivers, only been back for 3 meetings. The issue for me is I don't want to run 17.5, and numbers for 13.5 boosted are close to nil. I know the club run almost every weekend to get revenue in, but I think its hurting itself with small turn outs but often (if that makes sense).
If we had fewer meetings maybe more people would turn up? More competition will then hopefully draw more drivers to the club?
Glenn, Im not a fan of artificial grip, maybe I should give the club a chance to do it properly and see if it changes my view. The last meeting we both did at Aldershot I did a 21 303 in the first round with old tyres. I dont think the grip is low at all, just dirty. Just need more people burning the laps.

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 22 Sep 2014, 20:46

gwesty wrote:Obviously with more running in the track the grip will improve . When there's only a few people racing g a thin coating of coke will help to add some tack to the track. Personally I'd rather do it as it could save us all having to use new tyres . Or we could buy a nitro car and do some laps with that ;)
i agree about the tyresand less wear is always a good thing,im all for it if it can help stop the graining
Richard Brown

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 22 Sep 2014, 20:52

id love to get back to last years meetings when matt,kieran,myself,john zottl,glen and jay,nick,scott and others,averaging 18 in boosted,but why havent they returned this year,it cant because there's no nationals surely?

take a look at the entrys in this meeting,where are they now

http://aldershotmodelcarclub.net/wp-con ... 30602q.pdf
Richard Brown

A_Zino
Crystals: 40.725
Vehicle Make(S): I have had them all and raced in all classes, currently hustling a Schumacher MI4CX around.
ESC Makes and Models: GM Genius 75
Motor Makes: GM 10.5 Star Wind
Battery Make: Demon Power 5000mah 35c

Postby A_Zino » 23 Sep 2014, 11:32

I have read this post with interest and would like to throw my opinion into the mix.
I raced at the ESS that has as we all know by now the organisers put a lot of effort into the track prep and coated the track with coke.
To do so took them a lot of time and effort and the coating was placed on the track on the Friday evening and took a good coupe of hours to do properly. The track needs to be squeaky clean before the coke is applied otherwise the task is pointless. This having been done the track was still dusty each morning of the meeting so is no magic cure.
As for the "new tyres aren't faster than old", that is a myth. As a case in point on the Sunday morning of the ess I did two qualy runs, one with 2 run old tyres and one with new. The new tyre run was 5 seconds faster and both runs had no mistakes so new tyres are still faster.
Now what I will say is that there appears to be less graining on the front tyres, but very marginally. Then again the only reason that tyre wear is an issue is because when the level of competition increases (I.e when glen, jay, ben, Kieran and quim race) they will be looking to throw new boots at it because a. That's what you would be running at a big meeting and b. Ftd makes it a bigger incentive to run them.
Now I would like to propose a much cheaper and easier solution. Why not turn qualy into a round by round affair? That way you will stop the last round of qualy into a one run blast for ftd. The condition of the track will be irrelevant as it will be the same for everyone. Why are we looking take the skill from gauging the conditions?
Aldershot is blessed with some great levels of grip, it is not needed to be coating the track. I looked at results from the last time Ben raced in 13.5 and he did 21 in 303 in the first round of qualy on old tyres...... bugger me boys there is nothing wrong with that track!!!! Now Ben is no hero so can only do the time if the grip is there.
The real issue is getting more people running, if everyone did more running on the green track in the morning that would clean it up much quicker and in a much more enjoyable way for everyone.
What we need to be doing is trying to boost numbers, and not in a way of tweaking our facilities which are pretty great, track is great also and always has been.

Leave as is and enjoy your racing. P.s am ready for the abuse
Alex Gardiner

gwesty
Vehicle Make(S): xray,hudy,rc-disco, ko,wfx,airhead graffix,demon,apex models,racer

Postby gwesty » 23 Sep 2014, 17:27

Nice read Zino , however in the real world when there's normally around 15 people racing it takes all day and more for the grip to get to a decent level . The idea of "coking" the track is to help speed this up . At adur the track was covered with too much coke and made the track almost slimy ! A light dusting is all that's needed onto a clean track . I raced the weekend b4 the ess and my last final produced my fastest single lap ... On used rubber ! Surely it's worth a try ?

chasingthepack

Postby chasingthepack » 23 Sep 2014, 18:02

as the club has already purchased a pretty expensive sprayer to do the job i think its only fair we give it a try
Richard Brown